Monday, February 11, 2008

GOP Strategy: Cheat Early, Cheat Often

Given the recent history of voting "anomalies," and "fraud, malfeasance, or incompetence" in our presidential elections, I would have thought that the Republican party would make every effort to at least create the appearance that the election process has not been completely compromised.

Apparently I was wrong.

As reported in the Brad Blog, John McCain won Saturday's Republican caucus. Luke Esser, the chair of the Washington state Republican party, was so certain of a McCain victory, that he didn't even need to see all of the votes. With 87% of the votes counted and Mike Huckabee only 242 votes behind, Esser stopped the count and declared a winner.

Sound familiar?

After the 2000 and 2004 elections, I think an argument can be made that we need to have some sort of monitoring of our national elections, perhaps by the UN. It may seem like a slap in the face to suggest that the world's greatest democracy doesn't have its shit together, but come on. I haven't trusted Republicans to run a fair election against the Democrats since November of 2000. Now it would appear that they can't be trusted to run one within their own party. How long do we have to watch these people destroy our country before we say, ENOUGH!

Please note: I am not suggesting that all Republicans don't care about representative government. We just need to watch the ones who are running the elections.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Mike this is an update for me I had no idea this was even going on.........I have laid off news for a while. Too depressing. If there was someone to "screw" I can't think of a nicer person than Mike Huckabee!! Please not the U.N. .....they are so not impartial and they might let Libya or Chavez be the chad counter....how about a nice group of old lady nuns that don't care either way?? I do agere we need to get our shit together.....great post and informative and I would rather be over here than on my blog right now anyway.haha. I guess I bring it on myself being so DAMNED ARGUMENTATIVELY RIGHT ALL THE TIME!!! jk great read!!Nikki

Mike H said...

Hey, Nikki. There's more to the story of the Washington Republican caucus. I'm thinking of having a follow-up post on it as soon as I can get the information straight.

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully the people on your blog will learn to CHILL!