Saturday, January 12, 2008

This Isn't The Change I Was Looking For

The health care system in America needs to be fixed. Ask any of the leading candidates for president and they will tell you the same. Their approach to fixing the problem, though, is considerably different, depending on their party affiliation. It almost goes without saying that the Democrats have a better plan. However, what they don't have is a liberal plan.

Each of the three Democratic front-runners (Clinton, Obama, Edwards) have the same plan. They want to issue tax credits to help us pay for our private insurance. They want to offer us the same menu of plans to choose from that Congress has. (That must have fared well with the focus groups, because all of a sudden, they're all saying it.) The problem with this, of course, is that throwing tax dollars at a broken system isn't going to fix it. It's simply going to transfer more money from the middle class into the pockets of the insurance industry.

Sound familiar? It's the same plan that Governor Schwarzenegger has for California, which I ranted about back in December. What we're seeing is the Democratic party shifting further to the right. Is it a coincidence that no matter which of the likely candidates gets the nomination, we're going to have a Democrat who wants to help the insurance industry get paid?

As for the Republicans, there's a little more variety, but it all pretty much boils down to a few standard conservative principles. Reduce regulation, reduce the burden on industry, leave the consumers to fend for themselves.

A few intersting notes: On McCain's site, under the header "John McCain Believes in Personal Responsibility" he says:

Public health initiatives must be undertaken with all our citizens to stem the growing epidemic of obesity and diabetes, and to deter smoking.


Personal responsibility in the form of the Nanny State?

I'd comment on Huckabee's plan, but he doesn't have any details on his site, only vague platitudes about lower costs, more control, and blah blah blah.

Mitt Romney doesn't get into any specifics, either. He does offer something the other Repubs do not, a gross misrepresentation of the Democratic plans.

Democrats believe that the solution to these problems is a one-size-fits-all, government-run, socialized health care system — a course that threatens medical progress and restricts free markets. They think that government can do a better job of choosing a doctor and making better health care decisions than individual Americans can.


As I point out, none of the Democratic front-runners is offering "socialized" health care. And when has any Democrat ever said that the government should be picking people's doctors or making their health care decisions? Romney is either ignorant of the shift of the Dems toward the center, or he is a big fat liar who is counting on his potential supporters being ignorant.

The irritating part is that none of the likely nominees from either party has any real interest in fixing the system. The Democrats want to give tax credits for insurance premiums over a certain amount (percent of income, for example.) They want to give people a choice of private insurance plans to choose from. What they don't want to do is actually address the real problem, which is that the private insurance industry was designed to benefit one group: the private insurance industry.

And of course, the Republicans only want to help big business at the expense of the middle class and the poor. No real shock there.

Unfortunately, that leaves the majority of Americans on the short end of the stick. In Europe and elsewhere, health care is seen as a basic right. In America, it's seen as a profit center for major campaign contributors and lobbyists. Until that changes, we're stuck every four years voting for the "lesser of two evils," instead of someone who can make a real difference.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Hey Mike great post......I have to be honest this is a subject I know very little about and quite honestly care very little about. Perhaps if I had no insurance I would care more. I do know we need to drive the cost down. I think the self-employed and of course those with less income suffer the most. I think illegals contribute. Maybe hospitals should be like Universities where you have a governmental budget and donations from wealthy community members. I know here in Utah we have the Hunstman Cancer institute at the University of Utah and he literally gives the hospital over 100 million dollars a year of his own money and NO ONE is to turned away regardless of their ability to pay. He holds benefit dinners and has contributions from the community to keep the research and the treatment going. Sometimes I think our government isn't always the answer, but not all wealthy people are this generous. great read......N

Nikki said...

And i failed to mention about the Cancer institute he built it and staffed it ALL with his own money! And funds it. What a great way to spend his massive fortune. He also lives a very humble life. John Huntsman should run for President. His son is the Governor of Utah and I don't care for him very much. he is nothing like his father. sorry I'm gabby. :)
N

Mike H said...

Nikki, I think that the Shriners and the Masons also run hospitals that will not turn away anyone, regardless of ability to pay.

Hospital care is a lot more expensive than regular doctors' care, though. So although these groups are very generous, I think we need a better solution for providing health care to all Americans.

Thanks for the comments. I don't mind gabby-ness.

Nikki said...

Funny you should mention shriners. When I was 5 I was in Shriners for about 7 months having a ground breaking surgery on my legs. My hip was backwards and my knees were knocked. The surgery was free and once when I was a teen I was making fun of the Masons and my mom had a cow! I deserved it. I am grateful my legs work perfect today!! The Shriners are so AWESOME!!! N

JeffSon said...

There's a bunch of things about health care that the insurance companies don't seem to tell anyone when they start hiking rates unilaterally. First among these are the bulk discounts that insurance companies get when paying out claims.

The total amount of the bills involved in my head-on collision with a drunk driver is currently sitting somewhere around $100,000. That was the actual amount billed by the hospital, to me, that I submitted to Wellmark/BCBS. That's the amount that I would have been accountable for had I not had any insurance.

Wellmark, because of their discounts, has settled a large portion of that claim for $60,000 so far. Essentially, they've settled that bill with the hospitals for 60 cents on a dollar. That means that it only actually cost the hospital $60K to treat me...

...in two hospitals...

...plus three surgeries...

...over a 15 month period.

Now, here's where it gets a little funky.

Wellmark, when figuring the insurance costs for the company who holds my policy, do so according to the original $100K claim. Also, because they've taken this long to settle up, the outstanding balance (not yet paid by the court settlement) has decimated my credit in the form of deliquent invoices, which has - in turn - driven up my other insurance costs across the board.

This is the only claim I've ever turned in (above the occasional office visit) and it wasn't even my fault. The problem with health care is the same as with any form of insurance: they are granted the ability to base their costs on inflated and - in most cases - imaginary numbers. It has nothing to do with false claims, poor credit, etc.

It is an industry that is legally allowed to act in an immoral and unethical manner. One president will not ever be able to change the system in place because they come from the same pool of people who allowed the laws to be passed in the first place.

It's lip service, laced with sound bytes, mixed with BS.

Mike H said...

Jeff, your story is, unfortunately, a perfect example of what I was saying. The insurance industry exists to benefit the insurance industry, not the policy holders.

That's why I'm disappointed that the Democrats seem to have given up on the ideal of national health care. I don't expect the Republicans to give a damn about us, but the Dems are supposed to be the party of the people.

This is just one example of why I abandoned the Democratic party. They did the same to me, I figured I'd return the favor.